Switches are the basic connectivity points of an Ethernet network. These switches are small devices that can receive data from multiple input ports and send it to the specific output port that takes data to its intended destination in the network. Network switches basically work at data link layer of the OSI model. There are multiple types of switches in a network. These are:
- Unmanaged switches- basically these are the switches that are mostly used in home networks and small businesses as they plug-in and instantly start doing their job and such switches do not need to be watched or configured. 24 port network switch allows devices on a network to connect with each other such as a computer to a computer to a printer in one single location. They are very simple easy to set up and needs only small cable connections.
- Managed switches- these types of switches contain many good features like the highest levels of security, precision control and full management of the network. These switches are mainly used in organisations containing a large network and can easily be customized to enhance functionality of a certain network. These networks are most costly but their scalability makes them an ideal option for a network that is fast growing. These have two types:
- Smart switches: these switches offer basic management features with the ability to create some levels of security but also have a simpler management interface than the other managed switches. Thus, this is why they are often called partially managed switches. These switches are mostly used in fast and constant LANs which basically support gigabit data transfer.
- Enterprise managed switches: they have features like ability to fix, easily copy, transform and display different network configurations along with a web interface SNMP agent and command line interface. They are also known as fully managed switches and are more expensive than the smart switches as they have more features that can be enhanced.
- LAN switches- these are also known as Ethernet switches or data switches and are used to reduce network congestion by distributing a package of data only to its intended recipient. These are basically used to connect points on a LAN. A LAN switch or an active hub gives main priority to the package of data and sends data of a highest priority before it sends low- priority packets.
- PoE switches- 24 PoE Network Switches are used in PoE technology which stands for power over Ethernet that is a technology that integrates data and power both on the same cable allowing power devices to receive in data in parallel to power. Hence, these switches provide greater flexibility by simplifying the cabling process.
- Router- this is an electronic device that sends data packets along networks. It is connected to at least two local area network or wide area network. Routers are mainly located at gateways wherein the places where two or more networks are connected.